Monday, March 7, 2011

IMNZ 2011: Swim


This was the biggest race of my life to date for sure, I had all the pressure on my shoulders that I was placing myself to exit the swim plus the expectation of the people present on race day and within the team.

I remember saying to my board paddler, Sarah, that "this was a huge day for me" I was talking about my personal expectation to exit the water, she could sense the tension and partial fear hardened into steely determination.

As the cannon went off we let the main pack go, my strategy was to swim my own race, to not let anyone dictate my swim, my strategy was also to 'dominate' my swim, not to let anything get in the way of completion.

I must have had a good swim as I passed people in the water, "that never happens" When we got to the turn at half way I noticed that Sarah was really starting to put the pressure on on the return trip. She was really increasing the direction and support to encourage me to swim the best swim I could swim on that day.

I turned the can at the end of the course, there was only 200m to go, there were people screaming both on the water and on the beach, when I reached the beach I stood up and at that moment I looked up and saw the timing clock, it said 2:11, I looked to my right and Wayne Reardon was standing there ready to high five me, I had said to him last year that I would be back for that in 2011. What really cemented it for me was Mike Reilly shouting "You will be an Ironman Today"

I met Adam at the water and we ran to T1, that is quite a run up T1 after a 3.8km swim. I am so glad I took the decision to ask him to be with me on that day, he was the perfect person to be there with me as would prove itself later in the run.

T1 went very smoothly, Adam stripped the wetty off and got me ready to ride, the crowd was great on T1, the weather was wet at this stage but the rain would get harder during the day and prove to be a major factor on the bike

No comments:

Post a Comment