Tuesday, November 2, 2010

the bigger picture

Last weekend I was invited to go to an event that Parafed Wellington put on. One of the things that Parafed does is to seek opportunities and facilitate participation for people with disabilities in sports. The event I went to was for swimming so naturally I had a connection to the event.

I found the event really great, it gave me the opportunity to talk to disabled people, both young and old about goal setting and achieving the things you want to despite the negative perceptions of others.

A common theme that emerged was that many people with a disability are told they cannot do this or that for whatever reason (usually linked to the able bodied person's fear or the unknown) and that negative feedback stops participation. This was part of my story in so far as my early swimming experiences went.

I tried to imprint upon people I spoke to at the swimming event on the weekend that I use other people's negativity to fuel my positive response. I say to myself I will do this, and I will show that person/s that it can be done

Parafed is a wonderful organisation whose main aim is to provide opportunities for disabled people to participate in sport. I am inspired by the people I meet at the Parafed events just as much as I hope they are inspired by seeing my example.

A key person at Parafed Wellington is the Sport Development Coordinator Michelle Laurenson. Michelle works tiresly to seek and provide opportunities for people with disabilities, she has helped me with my training and with preparing for Ironman 2010, she does amazing work and I am continually impressed by the work she does.





There is another event coming up this weekend, also run through Parafed promoting horse riding. I will be going to that as well talking to more young disabled people giving the same message.

No comments:

Post a Comment